Sunday, August 26, 2007

My Trip to the Barn Market went to the BEES


Yesterday the skies looked promising so I decided to go on a road trip to visit one of my favourite farmers' markets, The Hubbards Barn. I took a bag, got some cash and headed out mid morning to catch all the action before everything was gone.

I knew I got there just at the right time, as the parking lot was overflowing and there were lots of people with children and pets walking around chatting and collecting their purchases for the week. My mission to was get some oils and vinegars from a vendor I purchased from last year. If you look closely, she is midway in the picture and her tall bottles are displayed in front of her.



There were three large areas inside the 'Barn' where vendors were packed in with no place for anyone else. The entertainment for the day was playing when I arrived. I walked around and looked at the baking, produce, meats, jewellry, photography, paintings, soaps, jams & jellies, and much more.
Once outside, I was even more interested, but not in the vendors. Outside there were also flower ladies, produce vendors, and even a gentleman selling food from his English heritage. It was all quite exciting, but my interest soon switched to the outside buildings, scenery and flowers.



I love old style buildings so the one below caught my eye, along with the trellis.




















But that was nothing compared with what I was to discover next.


FLOWERS - and not only flowers, but flowers with BEES! And the bees were very cooperative. I turned my camera to macro and began shooting as long as they would let me. My research tells me it is the Echinacea commonly called the Purple coneflowers.

There were bees everywhere. They must have been attracted to the long stigmas sticky with nectar and pollen.



The rest of my trip paled in comparison to the bees and close ups. I did leave Hubbards and stopped in Chester and walked around a street art sale. The sun was bright and hot by then, so it was a nice afternoon. I purchased a wind chime that had stain glassed butterflies and hung it up as soon as I got home.

...And so ended my last Saturday of August, the last Saturday beforereturning to work at school...

1 comment:

Kellie said...

My Momma... the photographer! These shots look great! You're really talented... I'm so proud of you! I love you!

Kellie :)